Hamilton’s history stretches back to 1791 with the establishment of Fort Hamilton along the Great Miami River. By the mid-19th century, the city was a hot spot for manufacturing, but the industry waned following World War II. Despite the adverse affects a changing industrial society had on the city during the 1900s, health care, manufacturing and education — both in the Hamilton City School District and at Miami University — are among the area’s top employers. Building restoration and the addition of new public parks and art followed. Today, Hamilton is home to approximately 63,000 residents and covers 22 square miles.